The Aereal

Friday, July 15, 2005

Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger



I saw this book sitting in the shelf at the bookstore and thanks to a reference from Ghost in the Shell, opened and started reading it, the beginning is very bold and unapologetic so I guess I am going to read it all and then try to figure out what the reference was. So I finished reading it, excellent reading. It seems to be a high school required reading around here so most people have read it or remember the book. I keep finding references to it everywhere, the night I finished reading it The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson had as a guest Chuck Palahniuk author of Fight Club (the book!) was promoting his new book Haunted and the host compared this to The Catcher in the Rye while I was holding the book and reading the last pages.
As for the Ghost in the Shell reference is this quote that repeats over and over as a theme of the show:"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes". Also one of the recurring characters is called: The Laughing Man, like one of Salinger short stories, interesting enough The Laughing Man is a fictional character inside a fictional story.
Upon a little research I found rumors of a movie being developed, and also movies that took the essence of the character and used to infuse it with some pop resonance (Igby goes Down, and The Good Girl).
read?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have to agree with tablescraps, and I'm just a random blog-hopper. I recommend reading CITR to the end. I did in 8th grade, then again in 10th.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home